Saturday, March 7, 2009

Saree, Charlie!


March 2nd, Shanti Bhavan
I’m wearing my saree today – I tied it on my own, fairly respectably if I do say so myself. I feel beautiful and I think that I look pretty beautiful too. As I wrote before, the saree is such a flattering and elegant garment. It’s tied according to your body, so it fits perfectly and is made to your measurements. I feel like a goddess, floating across the ground, with my pallu (the part of the fabric that hangs over your shoulder and down your back) streaming behind me.


It’s been really fun to see everyone’s reactions. All of the students are smiling and giggling and the teachers are so complimentary. I walked into my first class and all of the fifth graders said, “Wow, Miss, you are looking so beautiful today in your saree.” I said thank you, and then gave them a lesson on “you are looking” versus “you look.” Always have to be on the lookout for things to teach. One of the teachers, Daniel, said “When I saw you and Amanda in your sarees this morning my heart sank because there is a general feeling here that when volunteers wear sarees, they are leaving the next day. But then I asked Miss Beena and she said you are staying.” I laughed at that and was happy to know that my presence here would be noticed and missed. Even Dr. George, who is a wonderful man, but can be a bit detached to the volunteers sometimes, told me I looked pretty and complimented me on my ability to walk well in the saree. He asked Amanda and me to be out and about today during our break because there are going to be some special guests visiting the school and he wants them to see us wearing our sarees. I guess I underestimated the impact the garment would have on the way I’m seen here. It’s a huge sign of respect to wear the local clothes and I feel like I’ve officially been initiated into the club. I’m definitely going to get another one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment